Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Easy? I don't think so.

Should something be easy to do, just because it's the right thing to do? I know the answer's no as far as Church things go, but what about other real-world applications, like, say, finding an internship during a down economy, or building a lasting relationship, or understanding multicollinearity? Granted, when I'm in the middle of one - or all - of these situations, I want the easy route. I'm done making decisions and I'd gladly hand over the reigns to my life. But. I don't really want that. I don't want anyone else making my choices. I don't want to miss the happiest experiences of my life because I'm snoozing in the backseat as someone else takes the wheel. One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite books tells me, "The world's greatest lie is this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what happens to us, and our lives become controlled by fate." I think that the tragedy in that lie is, when you believe fate has taken over, you lose all power and motivation to make things better.

But what do you think? Should something be easy simply because it's right, or are the right things the ones you've had to work hardest for?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Very interesting..some of which I have also been pondering recently.

Sometimes the right thing IS the hardest thing. Back when I left my abusive ex-husband, I felt like a failure. We'd been married nearly 5 years and nothing I tried could "fix" him. We were married in the temple, and I was determined to make it last forever. I didn't seriously consider leaving him until my Bishop earnestly recommended it. I spent a week on my knees and knew what I had to do.

I hope nothing you are dealing with is as drastic as that. I also am having a difficult time, in "this economy," finding a worthwhile position in my field (healthcare administration).

Sometimes....I think the only lessons that Heavenly Father wants to teach us are humility...and patience.

Nicole said...

interesting questions, that is...

Janessa said...

Oh no, nothing that drastic. It's just something I've been wondering lately. My mom always says the right things come easily, but I'm not sure I agree.

Nicole said...

In the words of a song I love by The Fray:

"Maybe you want it maybe you need it
Maybe it's all you're running from
Perfection will not come
All at once the crowd begins to sing
Sometimes we'd never know what's wrong without the pain
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same"

Janessa said...

So, so true!