Monday, August 2, 2010

Childhood Dreams

Have you read The Last Lecture? If not, you should. The author, who was dying of pancreatic cancer, explains how he followed his childhood dreams to live a rich, full life - everything from working as a Disney Imagineer to literally defying gravity at the NASA training facility. And even though his life ended too soon, it was full of joy because he lived his dreams. He inspired me to list (and live) my own. See below for what I dreamed of as a little girl. It's funny - I've actually gotten to live a lot of them!

1. Get married in the LA Temple
2. Be a mom
3. Learn Italian
4. Visit my Italian family (and stay at the Bellino villa and vineyard!)
5. Write a children's book
6. Write for the New Era
7. Learn how to cook like my mom
8. Graduate from BYU
9. Have a job where I can wear pretty clothes like Aunt Ria
10. Be on TV like Katie Couric
11. Go on a mission with my husband
12. Travel to every continent

I've done 6 (internship in 2007), 7 (work in progress), 8 (once in 2007 and again in 2011), 9 (and then wished I could wear jeans - ha!), 10 (as an anchor on the MBA program's Morning Market Call, does that count? it's on YouTube!) and 20% of 12 (Asia=check. Still waiting on Europe, South America, Africa and Australia).

What were your childhood dreams?

1 comment:

Tawny said...

Great post! I was going to be laywer, a dance teacher and an assortment of other things. I never have had much of a travel bug. That's probably because I hate to fly!! In the end the most important item on my list is to be a really good mom!