Sunday, February 13, 2011

A valentine's note

I usually hate having my birthday so close to Valentine's day. I've never been in a relationship for the holiday and it usually serves as a reminder of how alone I am - followed closely by another year added to my age - and it's just not my favorite feeling. For some reason this year I'm thinking less about that kind of love and more about the other kinds of love that I feel, today, tomorrow and every day. And honestly, considering the holiday is named for a priest who was most definitely single, I think those other kinds of love are just as appropriate to celebrate.

There's the love I have for my family. They are seriously the coolest people I know. My brother and I had the best temple date last night, followed by mint cookies & cream ice cream and episodes of The Office. How many girls have a little brother who's not too cool to spend Saturday night with them? At the temple, no less? And then there's my sister, who I admire so much and consider one of my best friends. She's pretty awesome, and brilliant, and talented, and prettier than me (but I don't hate her for that - usually). And, my parents are the best. In fact, all I really want for my birthday this year is to go home to LM and hang out with them. And I get to. For a week. It's gonna be awesome!

There's the love I have for my friends. I have been seriously blessed in the friends department. I treasure friendships from high school, undergrad, my working years, my stint in the Bay last summer, my MBA program, even EFY more than 10 years ago. Thank you for that...seriously. I'm not nearly as cool as you all but I'm glad to fill a little corner of your life anyway.

Finally, there's the love I have for the gospel, for my Savior and Father in Heaven. This is the love that I treasure most of all. It's the quiet assurance that everything in my life is going to work out, that I can be happy now even though I don't have all the loose ends tied up in a pretty little package, that even when I make a mistake (and I do this all.the.time) it's already taken care of, if I choose to let the atonement work for me. It's a love so deep that someone perfect died for me. It's so strong that it can overcome every fear, doubt, pain, tear, sickness, weakness and sin. It's so all-encompassing that it fills me with joy, when I let it into my heart. It's the peace that comes in the middle of the story, when you want so badly to skip to the last page and make sure everything ends happily but you can't because that part of the book hasn't been written yet, but you trust the writer and know He loves you, so it just has to end that way. That's what their love does for me. And without that love in my life, this holiday (and everyday) would truly be hopeless. And with it, this holiday (and everyday) can be a celebration of everything that is lovely, and good, and right with the world.

So Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you can spend it with the people you love the most, and eat lots of chocolate. I know I will.

XO,
Janessa Rose

Post V-day P.S. I didn't eat any chocolate, but does Mexican food count? Also, my awesome home teachers brought roses. The only time I've gotten flowers on V-day is from my dad when I was like 5. It was the sweetest and totally made my day.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I love that Janessa! You are awesome!