Friday, December 18, 2009

Today's Tender Mercies

It's been a rough week. MBA finals are brutal. I need to make decisions based on incomplete and possibly inaccurate information that could determine the course of the rest of my life. And I'm just so tired.

But as I was reading the Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 17:13 caught my attention: "And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, insomuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led."

Then, in my gmail inbox, I found this quote from Elder Scott: "Father in Heaven knew that you would face challenges and be required to make some decisions that would be beyond your own ability to decide correctly. In His plan of happiness, He included a provision for you to receive help with such challenges and decisions during your mortal life. That assistance will come to you through the Holy Ghost as spiritual guidance. It is a power, beyond your own capability, that a loving Heavenly Father wants you to use consistently for your peace and happiness."

I don't know where I'm going. But I do know that He does. I also know that He knows where I am right now. He understands the confusion and frustration a uber-organized control freak feels as her life spins out of control. And while He won't show me all the answers, He will show me enough to get me moving in the right direction, and then just enough more, until I've arrived. Even if it takes a lifetime. Even though it will.

3 comments:

Aly said...

I just read that scripture a couple days ago! It's a good one. No need to worry about your finals, you are a smartie. Merry Christmas!

Shayla said...

Janessa- I just have to tell you how much i enjoy and appreciate reading your blog. Your comments always seem to uplift me. Love ya and we should do something when you are home. Congrats for making it through your 1st semester =)

Nicole said...

I love that quote from Elder Scott. I think I'm going to snag it for my blog, as I am currently typing up a draft on tender mercies myself...