Saturday, October 2, 2010

Tastes like fall

I made the yummiest apple cinnamon muffins yesterday. They should keep us from going crazy from hunger as we drive to and from the afternoon session on conference today! Here's the recipe - they are seriously so good and the best part is how good the kitchen smells even a day later!

Apple Cinnamon Muffins
First mix the Dry Ingredients in a medium bowl:
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves

Then mix the Wet Ingredients in a bigger bowl:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Add the Dry Ingredients to the Wet Ingredients in small batches and mix til just moistened.

Then get 2 apples, both peeled, 1 grated and 1 chopped, and mix them in last. I used Fuji and they were soooooo good here.

This part I messed up - but I liked the results anyway. You make a strudel topping from 1 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp flour and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and I think it's supposed to go on after you bake them, but I put it on before and got this crunchy creme-brulee like caramelized sugar topping. It makes them taste like cupcakes and I like it.

Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins. Make them for Conference breakfast!

No comments: