"If every member of our ward did something to give back to the community, just think of the difference it would make, for us and the community." Bishop Wilkinson (great man, that bishop of mine...)
So, people think everyone who lives in Belmont is rich, snobby and a little bit pampered. And they might be right. But I still like proving them wrong. In light of that, we are hosting a SERVICE MARATHON for our March activity! (If I can find enough service projects). Here's how it's going down:
1. Start off at the Belmont Clubhouse to pick a project
2. Scatter off to projects (sorting donations at the DI, reading to kids at Tiny Tots, making sack lunches at the Food and Care Coalition, or framing a house for Habitat for Humanity...assuming any of them call me back that is) or stay in the clubhouse making hygeine kits
3. Meet back in a few hours for food (because ward activities without food never happen on my watch...and we have two chefs in the ward, so not having food at activities is simply shameful)
Any other service ideas? DI is the only place that gave me a for sure yes. I think this could be a great activity but I really should've started working on it more than a week in advance...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Hi Janessa - I glance over your blog from time to time (we were in the same ward freshmen year, you probably remember my roommate Jenny?).
Anyway I can totally relate to being activity chairman and needing help/ideas. I got an email from MUSA this week about the service activities they're doing this month as part of their Service Week.
I don't know an email address for you, but I'll paste as much of the information here in a comment as I can.
Good luck!! Seems like a great idea. I hope it goes well.
During the week of March 16th through the 21st, the Marriott Undergraduate Student Association (MUSA) has organized service opportunites accross the community. Activities include playing sports with down-syndrome children, enjoying a game of bingo at Cove Point Retirement Home, and building parts of a house with Habitat for Humanity. On-campus activities will be held Saturday March 21st. These opportunities are detailed below and should be a real good time. Please visit the MUSA booth Monday or Tuesday (March 9th, 10th) from 10:30 to 1:30 or email byumusa@gmail.com. Sign up with friends, spouses or just yourselves and enjoy an hour or two on something that could mean a lot to someone in need.
Athletic Connection
Event: play sports with down-syndrome children to help them develop motor skills
Location: NE corner of University Avenue and Bulldog, cultural hall
Volunteers: 20
Time: March 14th (Saturday) 11:00 - 12:00 AM
Cove Point Retirement Home
Event: play bingo and enjoy time with senior citizens
Location: 2901 W Center St., Provo
Volunteers: 15
Time: March 17th (Tuesday) 6:30 - 7:30 PM
Friday Kids Respite
Event: read books, play with toys and color with children possessing various physical issues (note: parents use this time to go on a date, have a needed break)
Location: 475 West 260 North, Orem
volunteers: 10
time: March 20th (Friday) 5:45 -9:30 PM
Boys and Girls Club
Event: play games with children from at risk backgrounds
Location: 1060 E 150 N Provo, UT
Volunteers: 20
Time: March 20th (Friday) 3:30 - 5:30 PM
Habitat for Humanity
Event: build parts of a house for low income families
Location: Provo, to be announced
volunteers: up to 60
Time: 1:00 to 5:00PM (Thurs March 19th), 9:00 to 1:00, 2:00 to 5:00 (Saturday March 21)
Note: to sign up, visit http://habitatuc.volunteerhub.com/Events/Browse.aspx
Service to the World
Event: make items for children to be shipped to Africa, abroad
Location: WILK - TBA
volunteers: up to 100
Time: March 21st,10:00 to 2:00 PM
I love Belmont. They are always doing cool service stuff. You are SO good at magnifying your calling.
If you are still in need try and hit up Josh Braizer. Kaiizen always has projects and needs!!!
Post a Comment