Saturday, April 12, 2008

Here we stop at those big red things.

So last night as I was driving home, I was pulled over. I was very confused, because even though it was late and I was tired I definitely wasn't speeding. I honestly had no idea what I'd done wrong. The officer came to my car and laughed. "You look confused," he told me. "I am," I said. "You don't know why you were pulled over?" I shook my head. He pointed to a stop sign. "You just ran that stop sign." I said, "I'm sorry. I honestly thought that I stopped." By this time, he had my liscense and looked at the state and laughed again. "Ah, California. That explains it. You see, here we stop at those big red things." "Oh. I thought I did. I'm sorry," I said. "Stopping means your wheels don't move," he explained, like he was talking to a 5-year-old. "But I'll let you off this time. Just remember you're in Utah now."

Um, thanks. I'll remember that.

2 comments:

Jessie Evans said...

Too funny. The one and only time I was pulled over was when I was driving my brothers huge lifted jeep. The cop followed me for miles until I got to my destination (a school where I was a mentor), then he flipped his lights on and pulled me over. When he got to the window and saw me all dressed up he said something along the lines of "this isn't your car, is it?" I told him, no, my brother and I switched cars for the day. He mumbled something stupid about the mud flaps not being wide enough then asked me if he could see my license so he could check my record. I told him he was more than welcome to, but since I'd never been pulled over, my record might make for a boring read. Sure enough, he sheepishly returned to the car and gave me back my license then told me to have a good day.

Now do I win the prize for longest comment?

Adrienne said...

That's why there's the phrase: the California Rolling Stop. John was pulled over for one of those, too. :D