As I sustained President Thomas S. Monson as the 16th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this morning, I remembered the time he surprised the Whittier Stake by visiting our stake conference in 2002 (we even got a shout-out in general conference). I was completely awed as he walked into the room. At the time, he was the First Counselor in the First Presidency, but I knew he'd be the prophet someday. He spoke to us about the importance of learning and serving. When the meeting was over, even though President Walburger specifically told us not to, my friend Shawna and I practically ran to the front of the chapel to shake his hand (what can I say, we were 16). He asked us what it was like being members of the Church in high school in California. We mumbled something profound like "fine." He smiled and said, "A couple of fine young ladies like yourselves will do just fine." Then his bodyguards cleared a path and he left. Even thought it only lasted a few minutes at the most, I'll never forget that conversation. Sure, he didn't know anything about me, but a Prophet of the Lord told me I'd do just fine in life. I plan on living up to his expectations.Saturday, April 5, 2008
Old memories of a new prophet
As I sustained President Thomas S. Monson as the 16th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this morning, I remembered the time he surprised the Whittier Stake by visiting our stake conference in 2002 (we even got a shout-out in general conference). I was completely awed as he walked into the room. At the time, he was the First Counselor in the First Presidency, but I knew he'd be the prophet someday. He spoke to us about the importance of learning and serving. When the meeting was over, even though President Walburger specifically told us not to, my friend Shawna and I practically ran to the front of the chapel to shake his hand (what can I say, we were 16). He asked us what it was like being members of the Church in high school in California. We mumbled something profound like "fine." He smiled and said, "A couple of fine young ladies like yourselves will do just fine." Then his bodyguards cleared a path and he left. Even thought it only lasted a few minutes at the most, I'll never forget that conversation. Sure, he didn't know anything about me, but a Prophet of the Lord told me I'd do just fine in life. I plan on living up to his expectations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment