Thursday, January 29, 2009

My brother the missionary

Did I mention that my little missionary brother is amazing? Or my hero? Well, he is. Here's one of his most recent experiences in Chile:

"One of our investigators, Maria Eugenia, has a baptism date set for February 14th. Her son, Sebastian, is 19 years old and was baptized about a year and a half ago. Seba never got the priesthood because he has one of those expanding earrings in his ear, and we have talked to him countless times about the importance of taking it out to be able to have the priesthood, but he never wanted to. Yesterday after sacrament meeting, he told Elder Noguera and I to go outside with him, and he took off his earring and threw it over the fence! He told us "I need to receive the priesthood, I want to be a missionary." He said that while he was sitting in the sacrament meeting, he saw a vision of himself serving a mission, and he didn´t have his earring, and in that moment he knew how dumb he was being letting his earring stop him from all of the blessings he can receive. We are going to work with him these next few weeks and try to prepare him to be ordained a priest and he might be able to baptize his mom on the 14th!"

Oh and the tie burning thing? That means he's 1/4 of the way done with his mission. In 6 more months he'll burn a shirt, and in a year (I think) he'll burn a pair of worn out shoes. Missionaries are such pyros.

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

Yeah- the pyro thing! I never got that, but you explained it well (and succinctly- the boon and bane of our existences!) And what your brother is doing with those people is so great. GO Elder C!

Tyson and Heather said...

Yes, missionaries are pyros, crazies! How rad he's in Chile, its so fun to have someone so close out serving, special time even though it can be sad sometimes!

Aly said...

oh sweet Michael! I am so proud of him. Also, cool that they get to burn clothes!