Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Taken (or why I won't be going to Europe solo)

Last night I was chatting with some well-traveled guys in the ward about going to Europe before I start b-school in the fall (I told you, I dream big!). I mentioned I don't want to go alone, and one of them teased me about it, saying I'd be just fine and I'm being a baby.

A few hours later, some other friends and I watched Taken. Let me say that this movie puts the Bourne series to shame, and Liam Neeson's character makes Jack Bauer look like a pansy. And the story definitely had me hooked. I liked it. But after seeing that, there is no way I'm going to Europe (or any foreign country, for that matter) on my own.

How can I put this? It's different for girls. Guys can wander around at will and not worry about being kidnapped, drugged into submission and sold into prostitution. Girls...not so much. Even if you're smart and take precautions, if you are alone you are vulnerable. Maybe that capstone project about human trafficking made me paranoid, but once you know the nitty-gritty of just how common this kind of thing is, you can't go back to the carefree thought of solo backpacking across Europe. I still want to go to Italy, Spain, Greece and the rest...I'll just be doing it with other people.

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

I have backpacked through Europe, and trust me, you don't want to do it alone, especially as a woman.
We met a few girls who were doing it by themselves and they were miserable and lonely.
So find a girlfriend and take off! It's really fun, even though you'll be done living out of a backpack when it's over. Sorry I can't go with you, I am in DC this summer.

Andrea said...

I spent 2 days in Paris by myself. It was my favorite part of the trip.....:)

Kathleen said...

Just makes sure one of those people isn't like Amanda... otherwise you'd be better-off alone :)

Janessa said...

Oh trust me, the Amandas in my life are all in enough trouble on their own without me getting involved! No thanks!