Thursday, June 5, 2008

Marketing is thebomb.com

Some people want to know why, if I'm getting an MBA, I want to major in marketing rather than finance or consulting or something equally lucrative and boring. Well, frankly, if I'm working that hard for a degree and setting myself up for a demanding career, it better be in something I enjoy. And I love marketing!

I didn't realize how much fun you could have with a product until I started at ISI. Take, for instance, our new mother/baby line. Dr. Alan Greene (here's his site for my mommy friends, he's amazing) helped us create a line of products for both mom and baby, including prenatal vitamins. It's also complete vegetarian and organic (you know, green). So to launch this new product line, we ordered a bunch of (organic) green booties and attached them to a cleverly worded "birth announcement" to send to our retailers! How cute is that? And to decorate all the trade shows we're doing this summer, we have a big stork with an organic green bundle filled with - you guessed it - the Dr.Greene line of products.

After playing with ideas like this for a year (2 by the time I start my MBA), how in the world could I go back to nothing but numbers?

2 comments:

Becky said...

oh my goodness, those little booties are adorable!

Celtic Rock Chic said...

I can't blame you, numbers are boring. Those booties are pretty cute. You'll have to come up to my desk sometime and tell me more about these products, I didn't know we were starting this.