Of all the stories I wrote (and the many I heard but didn't get to write) while at the New Era, this one was my favorite.
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=024644f8f206c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=8d3b144e3813a110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
In a nutshell: A little boy tragically drowns during a family vacation. His older brother and sister suggest building a swing so they can remember their brother whenever they play on it. Suddenly, the swing becomes a brand-new, professionally designed, volunteer built park. And the young men and young women in the Providence, Utah stake got things going by digging the park's foundation - more than 100 very deep, very narrow holes through very rocky Cache Valley soil. These kids? Pretty much rock stars (I crack myself up).
But seriously. This activity changed these kids. Their testimonies of eternal families, of the atonement and the resurrection, made me want to cry like a baby (which is a big no-no when you're interviewing them). It's a great story and I am so grateful that I got to be the one to tell it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
That was a really good article. No wonder you liked it. I need to get more involved with service projects and helping others I just don't know where to start.
That is an amazing story. That is so cool you get to write the way you are! You're very good at it!
Post a Comment