Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Imitation Pearls, or why sometimes you need to let go to move on


A little girl loved her imitation pearl necklace. She wore it every day. One night as he tucked her into bed, her daddy asked her, "Do you love me?" She said, "Of course I do, daddy." He then asked, "Will you give me your pearls then?" She shook her head, "No daddy, I love you but I can't give you my pearls." This routine continued for many days, until one night when he came into her room, he found her in tears. In her little hand she clutched her treasured pearls. "Here, daddy," she said, "I love you more than my pearls."

With tears in his own eyes, her daddy took the toy necklace and handed her a velvet box. Inside was a real pearl strand that he'd been saving for her. She needed to let go of the imitation before he could give her the real treasure.

I think life's like that sometimes, don't you?

5 comments:

The Waldon Family said...

"Life"... and boys! Some will turn you green after awhile :). Aaron got me real pearls after we were married and every time I look at them I think of this story. Love it, loved that you posted it. Annnd, I need to call you back! Sorry I haven't yet, I want to hear what is going on in California! Love you Janessa!!

Janessa said...

Cami, it's disturbing sometimes how well you know me :)

The Waldon Family said...

Hahaha, or how much we're alike! That period in between giving up the fake pearls and getting the real ones is so scary but if you can do it, it makes you smile that you ever held the fake pearls so closely in the first place. Bah, boys! I need to call you!!

Janessa said...

Yes, you do. Sheesh. You'd think you'd have more time to chat, what with a toddler and being pregnant (KIDDING) I love you Cami Rae!

Holly said...

oh man! janessa, i've heard this story 57 times but today it made me tear up! so so true. thanks for reminding me. :)