When Ana and I went to California last weekend, we couldn't decide whose car to take because both were having issues (mine needs some kind of belt replaced - thanks Corey! - and hers had issues with AC). We took hers, crossing our fingers that it would get us through the desert without overheating.
By the time we reached Baker, we had to turn the AC off, because we could hear water gurgling behind it. Also, her speakers stopped working, making popping and sizzling sounds. Probably not a good sign, but being the two naive girls we are, we kept going and hoped for the best.
The next morning when we left my house to complete our drive to San Diego, we realized the best hadn't happened - water was pouring out from the AC vents!!! So we took the car to my dad's mechanic (Accel, in Buena Park) to see what was up. We were praying it wasn't anything expensive...
We told the guys at the shop that we'd just gotten in from Utah, and the car was being funny, and asked if they had time to check it out. The mechanic took it for a drive, telling us he'd be back in 20 minutes, so we took a walk around Buena Park (not an area for two young ladies such as ourselves to be alone in at night, but don't you worry, I had my pepper spray, and it was broad daylight). I mentioned to Ana that I wished I wasn't wearing such modest clothes (lol) because it was so hot and humid. She said, "Janessa, we're daughters of God. We need to dress modestly." (If you know Ana, you know how facetious this comment was!)
When we got back, he told us everything was fine - something was plugging wherever the AC fluid was supposed to drain, and it was just backing up into the car, but once he cleared it, it was good (I'm so technical with car-talk).
Anyway, Ana asked him how much she owed him. He said, "Nothing." She said, "Well, I have to pay you something." He said, "No, really, it's on the Church."
Me, being the genius I am, asked, "What Church?" He laughed and said, "You're Mormon, aren't you?" We nodded. "I could tell. I am too, well, kinda inactive, but still. And so is the owner. Don't worry about it, girls, we've got it covered."
As soon as we got in the car and drove away, Ana said, "Aren't you glad you were dressed so modestly?!"
Moral of the story: things just work out when you wear knee-length shorts. Or maybe it's something else. Either way.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Ok, that was stinking cute! I love your closing line. The Lord was taking care of you girls that day, no doubt about it. You should submitt that story, with that closing line, to the Ensign. I bet they would like it.
I love your fun stories! You always manage to make life sound so interesting. Knee length shorts...Yep.
Post a Comment