Monday, August 4, 2008

Life Made Easy

A very wise person (aka my roommate) likes to say, "The hardest part of life is realizing it's so easy." She's right. Maybe it's because I've spent the better part of 23 years making my life as difficult as possible, or maybe I've just gained a better understanding of the gospel, but I am amazed by how easy my life can be when I choose to make it that way. Yes, I still have challenges. But I am learning how to handle them. I'm learning that, in some cases, I can't handle them on my own, and in those cases I do all that I can and then turn it over to the Lord, trusting that He'll take care of the rest. I realize this isn't groundbreaking for most people, but for me, a reformed control freak, the thought of handing over "control" (aka the worry and stress) of things that are completely out of my control used to be terrifying.

But it's not anymore. I've learned that freaking out about things I can't control doesn't make those things disappear, or magically solve themselves. It just gives me a headache. I've also learned that even the biggest "disasters" take care of themselves eventually, so there's no point in worrying.

Goal for the week/month/until the next crisis: simplify.

2 comments:

Celtic Rock Chic said...

Now I just need to mater this concept.

jen said...

Here's the recipe::

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/recipedetail.jsp?recipeId=R112610

Let me know how it turns out!! I hope things are going well for you out in UT! Have you decided what to do about school yet?