Thursday, June 25, 2009

Anonymity brings out the worst in people.

Anyone else noticed how the ability to anonymously post comments on just about anything, from blogs to message boards to news articles, brings out the worst in some of us? A recent experience of my sister's resulted in dozens of strangers spewing vitriol in response to a simple, straightforward, appropriate question for research. How many of these commenters are sweet-looking stay-at-home moms? (Considering the demographic, I'd guess the majority.) How would they respond to someone talking that way to one of their children? (I understand that my sister is not my child. That doesn't mean I wouldn't defend her.)

C.S. Lewis has a great analogy about rats in a cellar. He said if you turn on the lights before you go downstairs, you won't see the rats. They have time to hide. But if you come downstairs in the dark, you're likely to see a rat. People are their truest selves when they think no one can see. I think it's a sad commentary on Utah culture that our sweet surfaces hide so many rats in the shadows.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Of course you can post a link to my blog - I'll probably do the same with yours if you are cool with it?

P.S
I couldn't agree more with you on this subject.

Ana Lee said...

I'm curious what these comments were now. I've never posted anonymously. It seems silly to me. If you don't want people to see who it is saying those things, don't say anything!

As my seminary teacher use to say, "I'll be watching, I won't see everything...but there is one who will."

Janessa said...

Here's the one that made me the most angry. I would like to tear homegirl's hair out.

"I have a survey.

Are you a bimbette-type intern who likes offending your customer base? If so, please answer these questions! If you fit the catagories, you could potentially be featured in our weekly slot, Interns Who Have Limited Skills!

1) Do you enjoy sterotyping?
2) Do you routinely ask others how much money they earn?
3) Do things like social standing and what car someone drives matter to you on a deeply personal level?
4) Are you between the ages of 15 and 19?
5) Are you perhaps the daughter of a Provo Craft employee? Maybe someone "higher up" who allows you to post whatever you'd like?

Remember, we want to hear from you! "

Shayla said...

I want to know what the simple, straightforward, appropriate question for research was. and what the other comments were =).
Some people are so dumb. I agree that anonymity does bring out the worst in people- did I ever tell you about my phone convo- when the person on the other end told me to have fun with satan and hung up? =)

Anonymous said...

you now right that you can make it where comments have to go to your email first. then you have to click publish or reject. that's what i did because someone left an mean comment on mine one time.

Janessa said...

Jess, it wasn't on a blog, it was on the message board for the company she interns with.

Andrea said...

I want the link to the message board.

You know I've dealt with this ten fold. I'm come to the conclusion that there will ALWAYS be bitchy women. Yes, I used a curse word, but that is truly the only word to use.

Women are some of the sweetest people in the world. They are also some of the nastiest. If you have to be anonymous. You have no balls. If you say mean horrible things without anonymity, you're still a jerk, but at least u have balls. I find it interesting that one of the temple reccomend questions is "Are you honest in your dealings with your fellow man?" Could this also mean, are you honest in "blog words"?

Interesting so many talks/articles have been about this very topic lately.

U just have to forget about it and move on. Even tho for some people (such as me) it's hard.

Tawny said...

Poor Cara! I completly agree about the anonymous comments. I figure if you can't own it by signing your name then you should not say it. I want the link to the message board..... I will give my two cents to the my fellow stay at home mommies who have forgotten their manners.

Janessa said...

The thing is I'm pretty sure she's over it. I'm not. I get all mama bear when someone messes with my family. But I doubt me getting involved on the actual board would help matters. I guess it's just a reality of living in the modern world that she (and we) have to get used to.